Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Machiavelli Blues

The Machiavelli personality test has a range of 0-100
Your Machiavelli score is: 66
You are a high Mach, you endorse Machiavelli's opinions.

That’s right. I’m a “High Mach”. Which is defined as the following: “High Machs constitute a distinct type: charming, confident and glib, but also arrogant, calculating and cynical, prone to manipulate and exploit” Jealous? Disgusted? Don’t care either way. I took this test (link below) and was surprised at the findings. Was even more surprised when I realized I have no idea who Machiavelli is or what he stands for. I was always aware of the name, but figured if I was subscribing to his beliefs, I better check him out. Some research revealed the following:

- Italian political philosopher from the 1500s.
- Published “The Prince” in 1532, which was a guide to getting and keeping power.
- Maintained that rulers must lie, cheat, and steal in order to hold onto their thrones, but play the benevolent leader to the masses.
- Believed humanity involved two types of people: Greedy and self serving or stupid and easily tricked.

Yup, sounds right to me. One thing I’m not, though, is greedy. Probably because I’ve never had much money, I’ve learned to do without. Adaptability, I believe it’s called. So, according to these results, I am cynical when it comes to human nature, will lie and exploit when I need to and think most other people are stupid. Anyone who knows me would say this is dead on. If I wasn’t so arrogant, this might trouble me.

Today’s distraction: Find what, if any, kind of Mach you are.

http://www.salon.com/books/it/1999/09/13/machtest/index.html

No comments: