Thursday, February 22, 2007

Addictive Behavior

I never considered myself as having an addictive personality. I can usually take or leave a multitude of things. I enjoy beer, cigars, sex, every once in a while a nice glass of wine, chatting with friends but have never gone over board with any of them. Well, maybe beer, but that's understandable. Beer is yummy! Anyway, something happened on Monday that changed my way of thinking. I skipped my morning cup of coffee. Things were a bit hectic and I was hoping to actually get home and take a nap. Unfortunately, once I'm up, I'm up for the day. Yeah, I'm one of those.

So, I never made my daily Starbucks run. By the time 2pm rolled around I thought I was dehydrated or getting sick. I had a pounding headache, my stomach was queasy and I was completely fatigued. Kind of like being hungover or, as I call it, Sunday mornings. When I realized what the problem was I sucked down a Coke and all was better. Eye opening to say the least.

I am now in the process of re-evaluating my life. Do I have other addictions of which I'm not aware or conscious? Are there things I can't live without? Here's what I've come up with:

Starbucks: I used to be a Dunkin' man until a friend converted me. Believe me, I went kicking and screaming, but now I can't live without either a NonFat Vanilla Latte or (in the summer) an iced Americano! And don't even get me started on those Java Chip Frappachinos. Oh, man, I just drooled all over my keyboard. C'mon, Summer, get here already!

Beer: Duh

Cigars: Not the cheapos, but the nice ones. Don't really need these, just enjoy them.

Junior Mints: 'They're very refreshing!'

Boloco's Buffalo Chicken Burrito: Especially on a cold winter day or when you have a cold. Just clears your head right out.

Cookies: These are my downfall. I can't resist any type of cookie. Oatmeal Raisin, Chocolate Chip, Vienna Fingers, Nutter Butters, and especially those Pepperidge Farm Milanos. I gained 5 pounds just thinking of them. I blame my grandmother, who made the most delicious cookies ever. We always told her she should start her own business. Oddly there are two exceptions to this: Oreos and those Keebler M&M cookies. Not sure why I don't like Oreos. Maybe it's the way it gets in between your teeth or that they tend to taste like dust at times. The Keebler's involve eating them just before coming down with a vicious stomach bug. I'll spare you the details, but I can't even smell them without experiencing post traumatic stress disorder.

Cheese Curls: I could - and have - consume an entire bag of Jax or Cheetos on more than one occasion. These are one of those 'once you start, you can't stop'.

I'm sure I'm missing some, but these are the main ones. And, if you're wondering I do not weigh 350 pounds. Give it time, though.

Today's distraction: Discover what your choice of desert says about you. I'm 'fun loving and people want to be around me'. It also says I 'lack motivation', am a 'practical joker' and a 'friend for life'. To which I say to all my current friends, 'Suckers! You're stuck with me until death!'

http://www.youthink.com/quiz.asp?action=take&quiz_id=4836

No comments: