Monday, March 26, 2007

Weekend Update

Riding high after picking 7 of the Elite Eight teams in my office pool. Yessir. Saturday and Sunday I wind up correctly guessing 3 out of the Final Four.

Then UNC completely shits the bed in the last 5 minutes and overtime of it's game and just like that, I'm done. Had them going all the way. Once again Roy Fucking Williams is death to me. Every time I go with him I lose. This goes back to his loaded Kansas teams never going all the way, too.

Before that game I thought I was kicking ass and happily open up the office update email on Sunday only to find myself in the bottom third of the standings. I know this can't be right, so I add up my stuff and sure enough there's 7 points missing. How can I have 7 of the final 8 teams and not even be in the top half of the office? Investigation is commencing.

Actually got to have a boys night out on Saturday and shot some pool for a while at Khoury's in Somerville. Buddy I met is from there (the city, not the bar) and likes going back to his roots now and then. I sucked playing that night and couldn't figure out why all my shots were off. After we finish our last game, my buddy decides it's time to point out that the pool table is uneven. Everything pitches ever so slightly to the right corner. Fucking prick.

Thought for a moment I might have made a mistake picking UCLA over Florida. Gators looked tough against Oregon for a bit. Then slid into their mistake ridden, mentally shut down, careless play they tend to. I now feel good. Not that it matters.

Sidenote to J. Noah - you don't have to over clap at every trivial foul or play you make. It's annoying and makes people hate you. Cut the shit, you big pansy.

P.S. You may want to hit the weight room once you get drafted. Witnessed lots of flab shaking on those arms when you did you stupid over clap routine.

Am I the only one that wants to punch that Asian guy who pitches Cingular's cell phones? You know that one that's always boasting about what he can do with his cell phone that his idiot friend can't. 'What are you doing?' 'I'm updating my MySpace account'. You're outdoors in a park and updating your MySpace page on a teeny tiny screen? Show off. I hate that pompous ass.

You think the guy that had to fix the net in the Florida - Oregon game felt the heat? He had to fix a torn net and it seemed to take a long time to get done. I then notice that he's trying tie a knot while a camera is 3 inches from his face. No pressure, dude, but there's only 15 million people watching and waiting for you try to fix a net right now.

At Khoury's Saturday night, my buddy fell in lust with a brunette that was there hanging out with her friends. She wasn't pretty, she didn't have a nice body. He liked her cause she was bow legged. Hey, I'm just the messenger.

We also had the misfortune of witnessing one of the worst bar bands in history. They butchered everything from Flock of Seagulls (??) to Guns N Roses to Lynyrd Skynyrd. The fact that these guys were easily over 40 with big guts didn't help. The exception was the bass player who looked 20 something, refused to make eye contact with anyone in the crowd and basically looked embarrassed to be there. The term 'brutal' doesn't do that scene justice.

Getting your car serviced isn't as inconvenient as it used to be. Dropped my truck off Saturday morning and hung out in the waiting room where they have big cushy chairs, 50 inch plasma TV, free wireless (yup, laptop was in hand), and free coffee. I could have happily spent all day there surfing the web and watching the games on a kickass screen. I won't even mention the smell of fresh baked cinnamon buns from their new breakfast area. They weren't free and I wouldn't have had one anyway, but love that smell.

While we're here, list of other things I love the smell of:

Fresh baked brownies
Chocolate chip cookies
coffee (ever inhale a freshly opened bag?)
freshly laid cedar mulch
marijuana or (top shelf) cigar smoke
ocean air
peanuts
freshly mowed grass

There is another, but I'll just leave it at that. Anyone who knows me will be able to figure it out and I won't be offending anyone's delicate sensibilities. And no, it's not my own farts. Those can be nasty.

Found out on Friday that a work friend of mine is moving back to her native state of Texas in about 6 weeks. Kind of depressed about that. I enjoy having her around and the delicate balance of the office will no doubt suffer for losing her. Not as bad as when one of my other friends left, but it stings just the same.

Since I'm in a sharing mood. I have what I call a 'Base of Fame' on my monitor. Whenever someone I especially like leaves the company, they need to give me some little doodad as a tribute to them. Nothing expensive, just a small personal remembrance. I've worked in this office for 5 years and I have 3 items. Can't figure out if that says more about me or the people I'm forced to work with. You decide.

Finally, it was weigh in Sunday. Starting weight 223. First weigh in 214. Current weight 209. One pound to go to meet my 15 pounds lost in March. I think I can, I think I can.....

Today's distraction: Play some Crazy Pool. It's almost like playing on a crooked table with a crooked friend.

4 comments:

French said...

Who says 'doodad'? Possible replacements for 'doodad':

Trinket
Widget
Whatchamacallit
Whoseywhatsey
Thingamabob
souvenir

#'s 3-5 are worse than doodad, by the way.

BeachBum said...

I say doodad. Keep in mind I was born in the 60's and grew up in the 70's.

I don't like 'trinket'. I associate that word with cheap jewelry. No idea why.

Jim Hammen said...

Wow you are inside my head in this post. The asian guy from singlar is basically my archnemesis. I've been complaining about him for over a year, and he will be warranting his own post soon.

You have learned the lesson that all basketball gamblers must learn at some point: never bet on Roy Williams. Especially if he is favored.

Also, everyone at Culligan Manor was laughing at the guy changing the net during Florida/Oregon. Did you see how bad his hands were shaking when they zoomed in? Great stuff.

BeachBum said...

I had learned my lesson with Roy Fucking Williams (his official name now), but thought he had figured things out when he won his first year in NC. Looks like that was just a fluke.

If I wasn't laughing so hard at the guy trying to fix that net, I would have felt bad for him.

Actually, that's not true at all.