I'm taking the week off from work next week and, if I do say so myself, it is well earned. I've been working my ass off lately and need the recharge time. Plus the following week will be July 4th week. Since it falls on a Wednesday this year, that entire week is going to be dead. Half our office won't be showing up.
I'll try to post during my week off, but don't count on it. I have a shit load of projects to catch up on. Let's see.....
Paint the bedroom
Patch the front stairs
Plug holes in the foundation so those cute, little mice can't find their way into our house. Those adorable rodents. I love having them and would never do anything to hurt their tiny heads, but I can't have them going through our food. I just can't.
You buy any of that, DA?
Where was I? Oh, right. Things to do this coming week.
Fix the side lawn the tree removal guys ruined when they decided to park their enormous truck on the grass. The boys keep tripping on the divots and it makes mowing the lawn miserable.
Completely clean out my truck. Inside and out. When the sun shines through all I see are little fingerprints all over the windows.
Put together the multitude of birthday presents my seven year old received. This includes a basketball hoop that I will get great use out of.
So it looks like this is going to be a 'working vacation' for me. Of course.
Some random thoughts before I head out.
- Reading about the LA woman who spent so long in the emergency room of a hospital that her husband and another woman actually called 911. Now, I'm no medical expert, but I fairly certain that when someone is puking up blood all over the hospital floor as this woman was you might want to consider moving her to the top of the list. The hospital's response? To have her arrested. She died as they were taking her out of the hospital. She left behind three children and one bewildered husband who will now no doubt own that same hospital. I hope he fires every doctor, nurse, security guard and administrator on duty that night.
- My new buddy Koit and I were talking about the above incident and he related an LA County Hospital story to me. He was practicing some new trick, wound up landing wrong and knew he did something fairly serious to himself. He couldn't stand up straight and was in more pain than he had ever been in before or since. Since he didn't have health insurance, he went to County and sat and waited. And waited. And waited. And waited. He waited so long that the doctor that admitted him was coming back ON DUTY, saw him sitting there and asked, astounded, 'Nobody has seen you yet??!!! Get in here with me right now!' So Koit waited in an emergency room so long that a doctor actually had time to go home, shower, eat, sleep for 6-8 hours, get up, eat again, and come back into work. Turned out he had a bruised spleen. Ouch.
- Watched the Sox - Padres game Friday night and they inexplicably decided to wear 1980's throwback uniforms. Holy shit were those things ugly. Who thought that was a good idea? Who? Besides the godawful colors of the Padres, the Red Sox roadies weren't even symmetrical. They had BOS on one side of the buttons with TON on the other. But the TON was so far to the right, it was uneven. So it looked like BOS : TON.
- Finally get back home after my week away and everyone is asleep by 9 PM. What the hell is that all about? I know my kids should be asleep by then, but the wife? What a lame Friday night. Certainly no way to kick off my vacation.
- After hearing about the teen who lost her feet on a Six Flag ride, I have officially sworn off all amusement park rides for the rest of my life. Too bad. I used to like going on them. They were fun. Now you might not come back with parts of yourself.
- Flight back from Baltimore was bumpy, to say the least. We landed so hard on the Logan runway it rattled my teeth and several women (and one man) actually cried out in alarm. Not exactly a smooth landing.
- A few news programs are calling Suni Williams, who just came back from the space station 'the endurance champion' for women astronauts. Um, excuse me, but she may have taken the longest space walk for a woman, but did she drive 18 hours straight wearing a diaper? Did she?? Endurance my ass. Try sitting in your own shit and piss while plotting a murder then we can talk.
- Finally, my son's little league team offered Bobbleheads with his picture on it. I, of course, ordered two - one for me and one for him. Well they came in and it is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I love this thing. When I get back to work it's going on my bookshelf in the most prominent spot I can find.
Enjoy your week everyone!
Today's distraction: Dodge the Dot! Much harder than it first appears. Warning: can become very addictive.