Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Run, Run, Run

I have been struggling to create the perfect workout playlist for my routine. It's been a work in progress for the last three weeks and every time I think I have it done some song comes on at the worst possible time.

I think the problem may have to do with my actual workout. I run for 15-20 minutes, then hit the bike for 30, followed by the Body Trek thingy (stair master + arms) for another 20-25. The running portion, in particular is a stickler. I like to have music that makes me want to move. Kind of like music that inadvertently makes you drive fast.

Here's what I have to work with.

Equipment: 30 GB Video iPod

Length of playlist needed: I'm figuring 90 minutes. I'm getting in better shape and my workouts will be getting longer, however 90 minutes will be the max if I want to get the kids to school and me to work on time.

Number of songs to choose from: 1118 (more should be coming soon). Figure an average of 3 minutes a song making the list about 30 songs. I'll make it 35 just to be sure.

Criteria: Songs that imply propulsion, yet have some melody. Not always, just most of the time. Basically those toe tapping tunes that make you want to move.

Limitations: I only want one song per artist on each list. For example, I don't want more than one song from Green Day on the playlist unless I'm really running low on options. Besides, if you want songs that make you move nearly any Green Day song will work. It's just a cop out.

Here's what I've come up with so far. Keep in mind this is a work in progress; constantly evolving as I get new material. I'm going to create two lists, so I don't have to listen to the same music every time.

List 1: (Song - Artist - Album)

In Pieces - Linkin' Park - Minutes to Midnight (great warmup song)
Whole Lotta Rosie - AC/DC - If You Want Blood You've Got It
Sang Real - Dredg - Catch Without Arms
D Is For Dangerous - Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare
Please Please Please - Shout Out Louds - Howl Howl Gaff Gaff
Stillborn - Black Label Society - Kings of Damnation
Reckless Adandon - Blink 182 - Take Off Your Pants and Jacket
Life Begins At The Hop - XTC - Upsy Daisy Assortment
Dirty Thief - Diamond Nights - Once We Were Diamonds (EP)
Taper Jean Girl - Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak
The Wolf is Loose - Mastadon - Blood Mountain
Audit In Progress - Hot Snakes - Audit In Progress
Go With The Flow - Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
Fashion Victim - Green Day - Warning
Damn This Foolish Heart - StellaStar - Harmonies for the Haunted
Don't Leave Me - All American Rejects - All American Rejects
Helicopter - Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Why Don't You Do It For Me - 22-20s - 22-20s
Friends Like You - You Am I - Convicts
Flag and Family - Cursive - Happy Hollow
A Town Called Hypocrisy - LostProphets - Liberation Transmission
Our Bovine Public - The Cribs - Men's Needs, Women's Needs, Whatever
Baby Fratelli - The Fratellis - Costello Music
Spring And By Summer Fall - Blonde Redhead - 23
1845 - One Minute Silence - Buy Now...Saved Later
This Is Your Life - Dropkick Murphys - Blackout
Help Us Out - Futureheads - News and Tributes
Blind Truth - AutoPilot Off - Make a Sound
The Road Leads Where It's Led - Secret Machines - Now Here Is Nowhere
Misuse Their Bodies - Beep Beep - Business Casual
Midnight - Rock Kills Kid - Are You Nervous
Apply Some Pressure - Maximo Park - A Certain Trigger
Take The Long Road And Walk It - The Music - The Music
Feel Good, Inc - Gorillaz - Demon Days
Rooftops - Alkaline Trio - Remains



List 2:

Mojo - Peeping Tom - Peeping Tom
House of Doom - Black Label Society - Kings of Damnation
The Well And The Lighthouse - Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
Massive Nights - The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America
I Predict A Riot - Kaiser Chiefs - Employment
I Need More Love - Robert Randolph and the Family Band - Unclassified
Turn Up The Night - Black Sabbath - The Dio Years
She Moves In Her Own Way - The Kooks - Inside The Inside Out
Rubidoux - Cold War Kids - Robbers & Cowards
Old Yellow Bricks - Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare
DeathTrain - AFrames - Black Forest
Film Maker - Cooper Temple Clause - See Through This and Leave
Hold On To This Coat - The Rosebuds - Night of the Furies
New Pin - OceanSize - Everyone Into Position
Satellite - Catherine Wheel - Adam and Eve
Youth Overrided - Cave In - Antenna
It's A Cure - Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen
Shake A Leg - AC/DC - Back in Black
In This Home On Ice - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
A Finer Feeling - Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Nate's Song - The Lashes - Get It
Smuggler - LadyFinger - Heavy Hands
Heavy Lifting - Ambulance LTD - LP
Tonight I Have To Leave It - Shout Out Louds - Our Ill Wills
Wolf Like Me - TV On The Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
Original Fire - AudioSlave - Revelations
Reptilia - The Strokes - Room on Fire
Amphetamine - Everclear - So Much for the Afterglow
Hard To Beat - Hard Fi - Stars of CCTV
Out of Routine - Idlewild - The Remote Part
Poser Psychotic - The Ponys - Turn the Lights Out
Also Ran - French Kicks - 2000
Happy Alone - Kings Of Leon - Youth and Young Manhood
From the Ritz to the Rubble - Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, I'm Not
Going Against Your Mind - Built to Spill - You in Reverse
LetterBomb - Green Day - American Idiot

For the record, 'Going Against Your Mind' may need to go. It's fucking 8 minutes long and I could not wait for it to end yesterday. I was dying.

Carry on, everyone. If anyone has any good running/workout songs, let me know and I will check them out.

Today's distraction: 10 benefits of workout music. The Internet officially has every web site imaginable. This is to a website dedicated to workout music. I'm highly skeptical about the claim that certain music can boost your immune system.

2 comments:

Jim Hammen said...

You don't want my opinion, cause I would probably just have 'I Need More Love' by Robert Randolph like 35 times in a row. I could workout for days to that song.

BeachBum said...

Don't sell yourself short. I occasionally want your opinion. Plus, you're right, that song gets me moving.