Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Scattered

Ahhh. Nothing like a relaxing, good weathered weekend to get the spirit moving in the right direction.

Today is another beautiful day in the Boston area and it’s time to empty out the old noggin and fill you in with how the exciting life of a BeachBum is unfolding. Hint: It’s slow and leaves lots of wrinkles.

- Saturday night my seven year old had a game at the nice baseball field. It started at 7 pm, got to bat once, made one good play in the field and suddenly ominous clouds started rolling in from the west. The field lights came one and, in one cool moment every child was silhouetted by a blinding flash of lightning. Game over and everyone scrambled for their cars as rain and thunder shook the world.

- Before I forget, I’ve undertaken a new work out routine. My new gym is open 24 hours a day Monday – Thursday so I’m not putting the boys to bed, then heading to the gym for a night workout. So far, so good and I can sleep until almost 7 am rather than dragging my sorry ass out of bed at 4:30 to workout in the morning. My old gym would close at 10pm which didn’t give me enough time to get a good workout in. Now, I can take my time.

I haven’t weighed myself yet, but will as soon as I find where the friggin’ scale is in the new place. I’ll then keep everyone up to date on my progress.

Oh, the best part of the new gym: HD cable on every single piece of cardio. Last week I had Game 5 of the Celtics – Pistons series on the treadmill, then the bike, then the elliptical. One thing I’ve learned, though, is not to fist pump while running on a treadmill. I cheered after a particularly exciting play and almost wiped out.

- Sunday was my god daughter’s christening and I know what you’re thinking: someone picked you as a god parent? Why, yes. It was my equally nonreligious brother who doesn’t seem to care. Works for me. Anyway, we hung out at his place and I showed off my BBQ cooking skills. I wound up cooking for a solid 2 hours for about 40 people and even managed to start a grease fire! Flames were shooting about a foot over my head. I blame the cheap burgers they bought. My eyebrows are still growing back, if you’re wondering.

- Work has been insanely busy lately (which is why there was no post yesterday) and I have no idea why. Usually this is the quiet time of year, but maybe with the slow economy everyone is working extra hard. Let’s hope this doesn’t last.

- Just found out last night that Big Papi is going to be out for at least a month. After his wrist ‘popped’ during an at bat a few nights ago, his hand will be immobilized then re-evaluated. If things aren’t healing properly surgery will be an option. Even casual baseball fans know what a blow this would be to the Red Sox if Papi were to out for an extended period of time. This could be very bad.

- On the bright side the Celtics and Lakers have been reunited in the Finals for the first time since 1987. I was in high school when these two teams were the powers of the NBA and loved every minute of their rivalry. My memories of summers always include these two teams. The day I graduated I smuggled in a radio and earpiece so I could listen to Johnny Most call the game. The day was even ruined when the Lakers beat the Celtics in the Garden.

My favorite Celtic memories from the era. Off the top of my head, so no particular order:

- Running along side the parade after the Celtics won the 1986 Championship. My buddies and I broke through the weak barricades and dodged cops and high fived Bill Walton (who had a case of beer with him and was trashed by the time the parade reached City Hall) and Kevin McHale. One of my friends was yelled at by a cop to stay away from the motorcade, he agreed but then turned to run away. The cop took him and swung him into a fence then pinned him by the neck until the entire parade went by. Considering who this happened to, it is still one of the funniest things I have ever seen. And, no, I didn’t stop and wait for him. C’mon now!

- That awful Magic Johnson baby hook shot followed by Bird missing the game winner by centimeters. My friend and I were so aggravated by this game we went out and played a pickup game in the dark until the local police came by and told us to go home.

- Kareem sucking oxygen in the Garden during the 1984 Finals.

- DJs game 4 winner in the 1985 Finals. Still the best team to not win a championship.

- The Bird/Dr J brawl. The most shocking fight I saw live. Not only because it was two superstars, but because it was the first game I realized Bird was better the Dr J in nearly every facet of the game. Bird was simply abusing him and the normally docile Erving snapped. That fight is the moment everyone in Boston removed the ceiling for Bird’s legacy. There was nothing this guy couldn’t do.

- Game 6 of the 1986 Finals. While the teams were in Houston there was a huge brawl between Ralph Sampson and Jerry Sichting (all six foot one of him) that everyone from both sides got involved in. Walton tackled Sampson, someone from the Celtics was throwing haymakers at anything that moved and some of the players fell into the crowd. Game 6 was back in the Garden and there was a feeling of open hostility towards Sampson. (In hindsight, this was the beginning of the end for Sampson’s career because he disappeared in this game and seemed genuinely terrified.) Bird had THE LOOK before the game and single handedly decimated the Rockets. This included him getting an offensive rebound then dribbling through two defenders to go back to the three point line and hit a back breaking three.

- Henderson’s steal.

- Bird’s steal followed by DJ’s under appreciated layup. That was no easy basket!

- Cedric Maxwell’s rubber man routine in the post.

- Parish’s arcing rainbow shot and his defense of Kareem. Loved when he sent a skyhook into the third row.

- McHale and his dizzying array of post up moves.

- Sadly, Len Bias.

- Lastly, I am proud to announce that Operation Drive Out Roomie has been a rousing success. For the last three weeks he has been at his desk a total of two days. Yes! My music, constant stream of visitors, and conference calls on speaker at max volume has made him decide that it’s easier for everyone involved to work from home or another office. Go me!

Between my obnoxious music and silent but deadly gas attacks, there is nothing I can’t accomplish!

Today’s distraction: Finally learn what Stonehenge is all about. National Geographic will have a documentary about it sometime soon, but until then here is a preview. To be honest, it’s kind of a let down that it could be something so ordinary.

No comments: