Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Roid Rage - Part 2

Thoughts while celebrating neither Valentine’s nor President’s Day this past weekend.

- Worst. Valentine’s. Ever. I’m not normally one for celebrating, anyway, but wifey and I usually do lobsters and drink ourselves silly. This year she came down with strep (on Wednesday), didn’t get it checked out until Friday which basically kept her bed ridden for the entire weekend.

Look, I feel bad she was sick. But considering she knew she was sick on Wednesday, didn’t do anything about it until it became unbearable, wound up exposing both our boys to strep (you’re contagious until you’ve been on antibiotics for 24 hours) for a two solid days not to mention untold number of people at her work, my sympathy was severely tempered by pissed off-ness. If she had dealt with it right away, she wouldn’t have been as sick as she became, thus not ruining the weekend and basically making me a single father for three days straight.

Suggestion for everyone who is sick: Stay home! Don't bring your viruses and germs in to the workplace and attempt to trigger an epidemic. Stay home, email and call people if you need to but don't come in until you're healthy. You are not indispensible and everyone will be grateful you don't give them whatever disease you have. Wifey even attempted to go to work on Friday (instead of going to the doctors) until I talked her out of it.

For fuck sake, this is the 21st century. If you have a meeting you can't miss, call in to it. You can even have an online meeting if you want to get really fancy about it. Just keep your diseased self away from the public. I'm looking at you, uncontrollable coughing man on the subway this morning. If I catch whatever you have, I'll be looking for you.

- Everyone and their brother and grandmother have chimed in on the A-Rod story, but who’s asking this question: What now? Papi thinks PE users should be banned for a year. Jamie Moyer (A-Rod’s teammate for 4 years in Seattle) thinks A-Rod’s numbers are now meaningless and openly wonders why he’s even playing any more. Roy Oswalt thinks A-Rod’s stats should be wiped from the record book and makes an intriguing argument that I’ll address in a minute.

So what now? Where does baseball go? Can we simply assume everyone was using during that time? At the very least, everyone on the Rangers certainly seemed to be. Let’s not forget Sammy Sosa started his career there, too. Judging by the reactions from the players back then (notably Oswalt and Moyer) it certainly seems that not everyone was using.

The only solution that can quickly and absolutely put this behind us is for everyone to come clean. Release the names of the other 103 players who tested positive, any player who used or saw someone use needs to tell their story. This will never happen, of course. There’s no way in hell A-Rod would have admitted using if this positive test wasn’t leaked to the public. Instead we’ll be running through this every few months when some other revelation is made about another player having juiced during the 80’s and 90’s.

Anyone want to place odds on Juan Gonzalez having used during his most productive years? They happened to take place with the Rangers, as well.

- There is another option, as well, but it will never seriously be considered. Why not just let the players use PEDs? If it helps them recover faster from injury and helps keep your team’s multimillion dollar investment on the field, then why not just make them an acceptable part of the game? At the very least, let rehabbing players use them if they so choose. Isn’t in everyone’s best interest (owners, fans, players) to have players healthy and strong and on the field?

Just asking.

- As mentioned earlier, Roy Oswalt had a refreshingly angry and honest response to the A-Rod revelation. Saying things like ‘A-Rod's numbers shouldn't count for anything’, ‘for the guys that went out there and did it on talent. We're always going to have a cloud on us, and that's not fair at all’, and ‘The ones that have come out and admitted it, and are proven guilty, [their numbers] should not count’ even lumping his old teammate Roger Clemens into the group if any definitive proof is revealed.

But what really got my attention was this nugget: ‘I feel like he cheated me out of the game’. At first I was confused, as Oswalt is still in the game, performing quite well and getting paid generously to do so. He clarifies things with ‘The few times we played them, when he got hits, it could have cost me a game. It could have cost me money in my contract. He cheated me out of the game and I take it personally, because I've never done [PEDs], haven't done it, and they're cheating me out of the game.’

Again, Oswalt really doesn’t appear to be suffering financially at all, but I see the point he’s trying to make. All these roid ragers could have had fantastic games against young pitchers or pitchers about to hit the free agent market. Their over inflated numbers could have put a dent in someone’s market value. Let’s consider a 25 year old nobody pitcher who is called up in September so the club can see what he’s made of. He happens to face the juiced up Rangers lineup and gives up two home runs to A-Rod, another to Palmeiro and another to Juan Gonzalez. Maybe he was having a bad day, maybe they would have hit home runs off him, anyway, but there is no way to know. Maybe two of them would have been fly outs to the warning track and he gets a spot on next year’s team instead of being waived over the winter. Maybe he secures a $5 million a year deal with another club rather than signing a minor league deal just to stay in the bigs.

You can see how this can snowball and why guys like Oswalt are pissed off. Anyone know if the Astros and Yankees play interleague games this year? Would love to see Oswalt throw one at A-Rod’s head.

- Pitchers and catchers have reported and still nobody has signed Manny. Great call on this, Boras. After the A-Rod debacle last year what is it going to take for players to walk away from this guy? Owners and GMs certainly want no part of him.

- With wifey sick and my eldest over a friend’s house all day yesterday, I was nearly able to catch up on ‘24’. Only three hours behind now and am totally hooked. Much better than last year (static snow would have been better), although for once could we have one clean White House? Why is there always one traitor in the administration. This season it’s a Secret Service agent (at least that’s all I’ve seen so far) and I’m guessing one of the President’s close advisors is involved. Again.

- Speaking of television, ‘Fringe’ momentarily came back for a few shows, quickly wrapped up the John Scott story line (much too neatly for my liking), nearly lost my interest before ending on a spectacular cliff hanger. It won’t be back until April, now, but I will be watching. Suggestion for the Fringe producers: Lose the sister and niece.

- On the ‘Fuck ME!’ front, I made my way back to Hulu to finish up season one of ‘Life’ and could only find the five most recent episodes. For whatever lame brained reason, season one is gone and the first part of season two is no longer available, either. I’m guessing this is due to NBC morons limiting what can go online. Fucking brilliant, dudes. Now I can’t catch up on the show and won’t be watching anytime soon. How do these guys keep their jobs? Even went to Netflix to see if I could watch it online there. Nope.

Anyone know if I can catch up anywhere else? I’ll check NBC.com, but only as a last resort. Those fuckers.


Today’s distraction: As if this world isn’t strange enough, take a few minutes and read this insane story. Is this what economists are referring to when they discuss unforeseen effects of the recession?

6 comments:

thepowerof10 said...

Just go buy the first season of Life. It's not like it isn't worth it. If you really don't want to spend the $25, then mail me a check for $10 and I'll FedEx mine to you, and you can send it back when you're done. What are you gonna do, not watch it? You have to get caught up, the second season is getting good.

Hammen said...

I also like Oswalt's stance, but remember to take it with a grain of salt. Remember how badass Palmeiro sounded at the Congressional hearings? You never know with these fuckers these days.

BeachBum said...

I refuse to buy seasons of shows now. I only watch them once then they sit on the book shelf. I'll probably just rent it from Netflix. Just checked nbc and they don't have season one online, either.

Hammen, good point. Palmeiro had me convinced back then.

Rob said...

You guys are a treasure trove of good TV shows. I've never even heard of Life, but now I've got to watch it. Hammen, you hooked me on HIMYM. Beach, I still have never seen an episode of Lost, but have to jump into that from the beginning sometime soon, considering the time you spend on your recaps and the attention you pay it.

Beach, I pointed 10 to alluc.org to watch some current movies (streamed, not downloaded). They have a ton of T.V. on there too. You might want to see if Life is available.

Clayton Bigsby said...

I was going to mention the oswalt thing. It's just a shitty situation all around. I'm with you, release the names and then put it behind us.

BeachBum said...

Rob, dude! Fucking score!! I found the episodes, but will wait until I get home to download them. Thanks!

If this doesn't work, I'll just Netflix the first season and be done with it. Hate wasting my movie time, but it will be worth it if I can catch up.