Sunday, February 1, 2009

Superlatives

Allow me to be the first to say it:

The most entertaining Super Bowl I've ever seen. Let us count the ways:

There were not one, but two last minute drives.

There was a saftey.

Joe Namath and Suzie Kolber were on the same field in the same city for an entire weekend.

There was a 100 yard interception return for a touchdown by a 280 pound defensive back

There was a spectacular touchdown catch to make it a game by Larry Fitzgerald, followed with another LF TD catch and run right down the middle.

Less than two minutes later there was an even more spectacular touchdown catch by Santonio Holmes, who I would personally like to thank for taking the regular season off and rotting on my fantasy bench so he could be fresh for the playoffs.

There was a half time show that tilted between 'Yeah, fucking BRUCE!!!!' and 'why is there a referee throwing a flag during halftime?'

We had great games from BOTH starting quarterbacks.

We had record breaking games from James Harrison (longest play in Super Bowl history) and Larry Fitzgerald (most receiving yards in playoff history)

We discovered Kurt Warner can shower and dress in a suit in less than 20 minutes. I'm assuming he actually showered.

We had the introduction of a new hottie on the sidelines in Alex Flanagan (although she was a bit dry).

We now have the first 6 Super Bowl team in NFL history.

There were questionable calls.

There were irresponsible penalties.

And to top everything off, we know have one of the most crushing defeats for any team in any sport in history. This may actually rank higher than the Red Sox - Mets Game 6. Maybe. Just brutal and my apologies to Cardinal fans everywhere.

The only negative I see in this entire night are those godawful championship hats the Steelers had to wear during their celebration. Harrison, you'll notice, immediately turned it backwards for his interviews.

Wise move.

I'll take on the ads Monday.

5 comments:

Hammen said...

I agree on all counts. Probably the best Super Bowl of my lifetime.

thepowerof10 said...

"We discovered Kurt Warner can shower and dress in a suit in less than 20 minutes. I'm assuming he actually showered."

THANK GOD I wasn't the only person who noticed this. I barely had time to take a piss and when I came back Warner was already showered and suited up. If next season he gets tackled, and a little skin gets torn, and we see a robotic skeleton beneath, don't say I didn't warn you.

The ads were horrible as I expected, but the game was incredible. Easily the best I've seen in my 25 years on this planet.

BeachBum said...

Maybe he just wore the suit under his uniform. Gotta admit, even though he lost he had a fantastic game. Even better when you consider the defense he was playing against. Was really hoping he would get one last shot at the end just to see what would have happened.

Feel cheated there wasn't a game deciding hail mary with Fitzgerald involved.

Hammen said...

I've found that athletes can shower and be out of there in a crazy amount of time.

Last year we went to a KU game, and we had JUST sat down at the Chipotle across town from the Fieldhouse, and in strolled Cole Aldrich, showered and changed.

BeachBum said...

I could buy it if he were wearing jeans and a t-shirt, but Warner was dressed to the nines. It takes me a solid 20 minutes to just get the suit on and looking right. He was showered, dressed in a full suit and ready for his interview in less time than that.

I'm thinking Warner is like James Bond. Bond can fall out of an airplane, down a waterfall, into a pit of lava and kill 15 bad guys and come out completely unruffled.

Warner.

Kurt Warner.