Friday, April 17, 2009

Friday Wrapup

Going to jot down a few, quick random thoughts while I burn CDs for my long lost friend currently living on the West Coast. You still owe me a beer o’clock. Don’t think I’ve forgotten.

- Quite a day for the Celtics. First, Doc Rivers drops the bombshell that Kevin Garnett will probably miss the playoffs then Danny Ainge has a heart attack and needs emergency surgery. Playoffs here we come!

- The odds those two above incidents are related are approximately 99%.

- After all this hoopla surrounding Texas Hold ‘Em, I decided to give it a try myself. Since I’m nearly destitute I needed to find a free way to learn and not lose my shirt. Enter my iPod. Browsing through their games I found Texas Hold ‘Em for $5, downloaded it to my iPod and I’ve been playing on my commute to and from work for the past week.

The beauty of the game comes from the players you play against. They all have specific personalities that you have to learn as you play. One guy is a bluffer, another plays conservative, another girl will smile and try to charm her way into you going in with her. It’s fun as hell and, yes, I’m completely addicted. Also, the more you win, the more games open up to you. Right now I’m playing in Aruba.

- Any other cigar smokers out there thoroughly excited about the potential for free flowing Cuban cigars making their way (legally this time) into the states? I know I am.

- When you have time read this confusing and often unintentionally hilarious torture memo from Bush’s time in office. Basically his administration stated that unless you have the intent to cause ‘severe pain or suffering’ than it’s not really torture. For example, slapping someone or depriving them of sleep isn’t really severe pain. Although I would argue being kept awake for days on end certainly is suffering. I have two kids, I should know.

Wait, it gets even better. ‘Because specific intent is an element of the offense, the absence of specific intent negates the charge of torture. ... We have further found that if a defendant acts with the good faith belief that his actions will not cause such suffering, he has not acted with specific intent’.

This means that if the person doing the torturing did not intend to cause ‘severe pain or suffering’ then it’s not torturing. What? ‘Dude, I didn’t realize ripping his fingernails out one by one would cause severe pain. I thought it would sort of tickle or at the least cause minor pain. My bad!’

They even include that old standby, waterboarding, as part of this.

‘although the waterboard constitutes a threat of imminent death, prolonged mental harm must nonetheless result’ in order for it to be considered torture and not just ‘we’re fucking with him’. Nice that they acknowledge the threat of imminent death. Although, wouldn’t any threat of imminent death result in some sort of prolonged mental harm? I’m guessing that anyone subjected to waterboarding would probably

Well once again, I’ve been waylaid (which, next to laid off, is the worst kind of laid you can get) by work so I’m cutting this short.

Enjoy your weekends!


Today’s distraction: Some kid actors who actually made it as adults. Let’s be honest, though, it hasn’t exactly been an easy road for Drew Barrymore and citing Christian Bale as ‘doing well’ in light of his recent meltdowns is a bit of a stretch.

3 comments:

Clayton Bigsby said...

One of my best friends is a pro poker player and has a poker teaching website. Its bluefirepoker.com he is PBJaxx, check him out.

BeachBum said...

Thanks, man. Guess what I'll be doing this weekend?

thepowerof10 said...

I was BIG into poker about 7-8 years ago. I started playing online and actually made some money here and there. Around the time Chris Moneymaker won that WSOP event in 2003, I was fully into online poker and making good money. Then came the idiots. Everyone and their mother started playing, and the game has never been the same since. It's not my kind of game anymore, and I got out while I still had money to show for it, and I haven't looked back since.