Friday, April 24, 2009

TGI MFin' F!

A few random thoughts before I head out of work early and enjoy the fantastic weekend. Eighty degrees tomorrow and Sunday according to the incompetent New England weather people. We’ll see.

- I’m embarking on a two new projects that begins on Monday. I plan to see if I can spend NO MONEY the entire work week. Literally, not one red cent (anyone know where that saying comes from? One red cent?). I may even leave my wallet empty to discourage temptation. I’ll let you know how things go.

The second project is seeing how long it takes me to listen to every single song on my iPod. I just checked and there are over 1700 songs. One problem I’ve discovered is if I sync things up to iTunes, it erases where I was on a particular play list. So I’ll get things ready over the weekend and not sync until the project is complete.

I’ve already set some preliminary rules:

1: No skipping songs. I must listen to all the songs all the way through.

2: The only exception to this are those annoying songs that somehow have silence at the end of them. Like the last song on Blink 182’s ‘Take Off Your Pants and Jacket’ which has over 10 minutes of silence attached to it for the sole purpose of annoying the shit out of people. Nice work, fellas.

3: I will listen to it as I always do: At work (in my docking station), on my commute and at the gym. I won’t listen to it just to push up my time table.

Feel free to leave your estimates on how long this should take me. I may even add some older CDs to it over the weekend. I’ll get you the total song count on Monday.

- Rumors are circulating that my company may be doing even more layoffs and other cost cutting measures. Those measures may include me taking a pay cut. No confirmation on this, yet, but if that happens you can expect more entries. Because if I take a 5% pay cut, I’m sure as hell doing 5% less work even if that decrease brings me into negative territory. A distinct possibility.

- If you’re wondering, I would have to take 3 extra minutes at lunch per day to make up the 5% cut. And, yes, I figured that out as soon as I heard the rumors. I’d like to think that makes me forward thinking.

- Yesterday morning Fox-25 (local Fox channel in Boston) hit an all time low. Using it as a lame excuse to get some sort of psychological profile on the fiancĂ©e of the ‘Craigslist Killer’, they went online to her wedding registry and basically ridiculed everything she had on the list. It’s bad enough this girl is coming to the realization that the love of her life may be a sociopath and she had no idea, but now what she wants for wedding gifts is being mocked on television. Besides, what could you possibly learn about a person from their choice of cookware? Does the fact that I persuaded Wifey to add a three foot tall beer stein to our list mean I have a drinking problem?

Wow, that was a horrible example.

- I feel as though summer has finally begun. Sox – Yankees kick off a weekend series, it’s beautiful out, and work is absolutely dead. There is nobody here.

- A song just came on my iPod that made me think of my friend DA. DA, you still read this? The nice weather is bringing to mind our lunches by the harbor. Those were fun. Although I’m saving a TON of money. The song was ‘I Hate Everyone’, if you’re wondering.

- While we’re here, some new music thoughts to pass your way.

Living Things - Habeas Corpus: A bluesy, rocking goodbye to President Bush (known as Snake Oil Man here). Angry, political, yet highly enjoyable from a musical standpoint.

Silversun Pickups – Swoon: A stripped down, grittier, darker take on Smashing Pumpkins. Need to give this a few more listens before I make up my mind. Quite a few good (maybe great) songs, but there is a vibe that they’re holding back they’re grungier inclinations to make themselves more marketable. I will say I like it more than when I first listened to it, so this may be one of those albums that grows on me.

Metric – Fantasies: This one I liked from the get go.

Riverboat Gamblers - Underneath the Owl: Already on my list of year end favorites. There are so many sub genres out there (post punk, art metal, emo, etc) that it’s refreshing to listen to a band that simply gets two guitars, a bass and some drums and pumps out some foot stomping rock and roll. Besides having one of the better names I can remember they have also recorded my new anthem: ‘Keep Me From Drinking Tonight’ which rattles off various reasons that would NOT keep them from drinking. Boo yeah!!

Check out ‘Victory Lap’, too, which will get you pumped enough to run a marathon.

…And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of The Dead – Century of Self: An epically named band who puts epic albums together (their last is one I still listen to) stumbles a bit on this one. A few good songs, but the act is getting old. Time to mix it up, guys.

Black Gold – Rush: Interesting and somewhat likable debut that feels like they’re basically ripping off every band that influenced them. Shades of Fleetwood Mac, Beatles, Steely Dan. There’s even a song that reminds me of ‘Somebody’s Watching Me’. I suppose if you’re going to steal you might as well steal from the best. I just hope they develop their own identity because there are glimmers of tremendous potential when they release their musicianship and simply play.

Bloc Party – Intimacy: Wow, what the hell is going on here? One of the more exhilarating new rock bands takes a major step into dance rock with seriously mixed results. Some of these songs are unlistenable ('Mercury', for one) while others are brilliant. All are completely over produced and electronically enhanced (one simple piano intro is looped to stress the stutter rather than played outright), but often to the detriment of the song. If you’re a fan of them, you’ll enjoy this release, too, just not as much as the others. I, for one, hope they get back to their funk rock and rid themselves of all the excess. Their song writing is strong enough on it’s own.

Doves – Kingdom of Rust: Love the album title. Perfect description of returning to work every Monday morning. Love the album, too. As they get right back to what they do best: Elegant, atmospheric and complex pop rock. If you enjoy Radiohead or Coldplay, give these guys a listen.

That’s it for today. My eight year old has decided, rather spur of the moment, that he wants to pitch in Little League this year. I’ll let you know how that works out.


Today’s distraction: I found an absolutely hilarious blog written by ‘crabbyoldfart’. Enjoy and keep off his lawn.

4 comments:

thepowerof10 said...

I don't have my iTunes on this computer (I'm at work) but I have about 4900 songs on mine at home and it's something absurd like 14 days worth of music. That's 336 hours of music. Using my superior brain (and a calculator) your 1700 songs equal roughly 116 hours worth of tunes.

With that in mind, say you listen five days a week for an hour a day on the commute, an hour a day at the gym, and we'll say six hours a day at your desk (no idea if this is anywhere near correct), that is forty hours a week. That means if you start this coming Monday, you could be done by Friday, May 15th some time around 3:00 pm ... Give or take a few minutes.

My head hurts. I need a beer.

Chuckwagon said...

BB: I don't know about the iTunes thing, 'cause it's not my thing. I will, however, take ALL the credit for the nice weather this weekend, since I hauled it up here all the way from Florida yesterday! (Yep, I'm back to MA for the summer and getting ready to move out of my old house, the one I've lived in for the past 23 years!) Ain't life grand?

Anonymous said...

Yup

A Tribute: deer a train and basketball said...

I agree with your take on ...and you'll know us by the trail of dead. Source Tags & Codes is by far their best album. As for the Silversun Pickups there ep Pikul was awesome. I have yet to get swoon but will shortly.