Quick updates from the weekend and various links to occupy your day. Work is still busy due to last week’s storm, so I’ll try to keep this brief.
- Son’s team rebounded nicely from last weekend’s traumatic loss. They ended their season with a win and eldest was even presented the game ball. I should have kept track of his on base percentage this year. Between walks, hits and being hit by pitches it had to be close to 70%.
- One of the gifts for his upcoming 9th birthday was a new bike from Mom and Dad. Thankfully it was already put together and he spent all Saturday afternoon cruising around the neighborhood. However, since it is a bigger, heavier bike he’s still getting used to it. As the two bloody scars on his knee can attest. One of the funniest moments of the day came when he walked onto the back deck and announced ‘Think it’s time for me to take a break’ before displaying the blood running down his leg. You think?
- The big news is that our recently remodeled kitchen is officially complete. Finished painting it over the weekend, installed the new ceiling fan/light fixture, and wifey even put up flowery curtains in the window. Done and DONE! On a completely related note, I’m sore as hell today. Even my hands are stiff. And, no, it’s not arthritis. I’m old, but not that old.
- If you ever want to test your relationship before marriage, I suggest you work on a home improvement project together. If you can survive that, you can make it through anything.
- It’s only June 15th, but I can officially declare this the shittiest June of my lifetime. We’ve had a grand total of 3 nice days this month with a majority (including all of last week) rainy and around 55 degrees. The normal temps for this time of year are in the mid 70s. This year it’s been closer to 60. Global warming my pale, white ass!!
- Congrats to the Lakers for mercifully finishing one of the least entertaining Finals that didn’t include San Antonio or Detroit. Anyone else notice that Kobe just can’t win a championship without Derek Fisher? He’ll have that monkey on his back until he can prove otherwise.
- Since I’ve never read it and the movie is coming out on DVD soon, I picked up the full copy of ‘Watchmen’. Don’t think you won’t hear about it when I get done.
- What if the Red Sox replaced Ortiz in the lineup with Josh Beckett?
- According to this study, my spunk has…well…spunk. Take care of it fellas. Has more to do with the development of you children than you think. My poor boys are doomed.
- Hilarious and disturbingly true. Magical squares of light!!
- What your tattoo says about you.
- As we are apt to do in this country, everyone is over reacting to a series of accidents around here and now want elderly drivers be tested for their driving licenses more often. The last one killed a 4 year old girl as she was crossing the street on her scooter. What’s being over looked is the 80 year old driver involved isn’t being charged or even cited. Doesn’t that mean he or she did nothing wrong? I understand that elderly drivers need to have their eye sight and reaction time tested on a regular basis, but are they any more of a danger than these idiotic (young) people who text and talk on their cell phones while they are behind the wheel?
- Lastly (for today), see how well you would fare on a road sign test. I got all but the double arrow sign which I have literally never seen before today.
Today’s distraction: Take some aggressions out on 3D dude. It’s quite fun and he can take it.