Friday, November 20, 2009

Crush of the Month

No way I’m forgetting this month’s Crush. I’ve had her in mind since late September. Unfortunately, I really didn’t know that much about her. As you’ll soon see there is a role in her past that was so unexpectedly and pleasantly surprising it vaulted her over all other contenders.

I present for you viewing pleasure, the November BeachBum Crush of the Month.

Who?: Gillian Jacobs! That's who!

Yeah, I know most of you just went ‘Um…who?’ but that’s only because she’s relatively new to the scene.


But that scene has been dramatically improved


If you’ve caught one of my new favorite shows, you know her as Britta, the blond bombshell who gives better than she takes from Joel McHale’s hilariously obnoxious lawyer in ‘Community’.

The genius behind her character is she is intelligent enough to not buy anyone’s bullshit but hopeful enough that she wants to be proven wrong. There is an undercurrent of damaged goods that makes Britta much more interesting than if she were simply a verbal jousting partner for McHale.

What Else? Well, she’s been critically hailed for her work on Broadway, been involved in the highly controversial and very short lived ‘The Book of Daniel’ in which Aiden Quinn has regular conversations with Jesus, costarred in the recent Cameron Diaz movie ‘The Box’ and was the lead in a teenage abuse drama ‘Gardens of the Night’.

So, she’s getting recognized and getting work.

Good for her!


And good for us!!

That All?: Nope. The item that puts Gillian (Can I call her Gillian?) way over the top is her role as a stripper (I heard she goes topless, but don’t have confirmation) in the film adaptation of one of my favorite books: Chuck Palahniuk’s ‘Choke’.

In the interest of full disclosure, I didn’t even know this was made into a movie until I started checking out Gillian’s history. It’s already on DVD and has been added to my Netflix list.


'Yeah, I can do dark and serious, too. It's called talent.'


Not sure how good the movie is, but the book is hilarious, dark, and oddly redeeming by the end. I hope the movie is half as good. That Sam Rockwell and Angelica Houston star gives me great hope.

Congratulations, Gillian Jacobs! You are BeachBum's November Crush of the Month!

Today's distraction: Bizarre signs. While I love the pickup truck, does it mean that guy needs to wear a blue shirt every day?

2 comments:

thepowerof10 said...

I NEED to start watching Community. It looks awesome. Odds are I'll wait til the first season comes out and buy it, and then watch it in four days.

A Tribute: deer a train and basketball said...

Community is awesome. Choke was pretty good, thought the book was better. There are a few boob shots but I can't remember if she gets naked or not. Sam Rockwell pretty much makes the movie.