Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy 2010

In an effort to make this decade a bit more fun filled and lucrative than last, I'm going to test out if karma really works. I'll sporadically post some positive stories in an effort to make my life better.

I should probably note that admitting I'm doing this for purely selfish reasons immediately negates any karma pay forward option, but I'm convinced no behavior is entirely altruistic. Besides, my efforts here are purely to entertain.

I should also note that this past decade was very lucrative and fun for me, so I really can't top what just happened during the past ten years. I met some great people, got a good job, had two great boys who entertain me endlessly, made some lifelong friends (even if I don't see them as often as I would like), and have been healthy and happy.

In short the decade of the zeros was very, very good to me. Being a zero myself, I guess that's to be expected.

Two quick stories for you.

1: Wifey and I spent yesterday getting things ready for New Year's Eve by making sausage bread (which, if you haven't had, you must try) and getting apps and drinks together. I even took a nap (Remember, I AM old) in order to make it until midnight. Well, around 3pm Wifey gets hit with a migraine and spends the rest of the day and night in bed. It's me and the boys.

We start things off watching 'Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinasaurs' and I send them to bed at 9:30. I start watching 'District 9', but have to keep pausing it because one or both of the boys keep coming downstairs. By 11:30 I can still hear them talking to each other upstairs, so I figure 'Fuck it, better than spending NYE by myself' and call them down. We watch the ball drop and have a grand old time before heading to bed at 12:30. Even got to watch the Boston fireworks from their bedroom window. It was actually fun!

So much for planning things out. Maybe that's the lesson for the coming '10s; don't plan, just have fun. I'm down with that.

2: This decade's first distraction is this clip from a hospital in the Portland, Maine area called 'The Pink Glove Dance'. It's fun and a very easy way to make a contribution (just watch it!). Love the janitor in this.

If the clip hits a million watches Medline will make a substantial donation to the hospital and offer free mammograms to the women in the area (and men, too, if they want I would guess). It's my first effort to make karma pay me back in spades.

Pay me back, karma! You owe me!

Third note: If you've read here at all, you know I'm just messing around. I don't expect karma to pay me back at all. Mainly because I don't believe in any sort of cosmic sentient being overseeing our trivial little lives.

Wow, accidentally ended this as a bummer. Sorry!

10 comments:

Rob said...

Beach, oh how you disrespect my former home in the beautiful Pacific Northwest town of Portland, OREGON. :) The pink glove dance was performed there.

BeachBum said...

Yeah, I found that out after I posted this. What's odd is my brother lives in Portland, ME so you would think he would realize there is no hospital by that name in his city.

I should probably point out that this may by karma making me look like a fool by being flip about it's potency. Or it could mean nothing at all. Other than I'm an idiot, of course.

Charles said...

You're right, I'm not nearly that popular, nor am I pressed at all for time.

One of my resolutions for 2010 is to write more, so here's wishing that comes true. Don't count me out yet, Fr. Bowen.

Happy New Year...hope you're well.

BeachBum said...

Haven't counted you out, yet, Sir Charles. Please notice your blog is still linked to the right and consider it my sole example of optimisim.

Or laziness. That would work just as well.

Charles said...

One good turn deserves another, then. Stay tuned...actually, I started another blog quite recently, from the POV of my roommate. Perhaps you'll enjoy...I'll send you the link.

A Tribute: deer a train and basketball said...

What is sausage bread? Sounds awesome!

A Tribute: deer a train and basketball said...

Just looked it up and sure enough it looks awesome! Although the recipe I saw uses velveeta, which is nasty. I'm sure any other type of cheese would work.

BeachBum said...

Don't use valveeta. I used shredded motzerella (sp?). I also use the hot sausage as opposed to the sweet italian because it gives it a nice balance. I find the regular sausage is just too plain.

Will be checking the new blog! Just so I'm clear, you're writing it but as your room mate? Color me intrigued.

Charles said...

Yes, as my roommate. You'll see. I started this blog purely for the amusement of my girlfriend and her roommate because they constantly hear/see me imitate him and his ridiculous persona. And my writing is NO EXAGGERATION. He's a fucking cartoon and precisely why people have certain stereotypes of the cali surfer dude.

A Tribute: deer a train and basketball said...

Yeah mozzarella and hot sausage sounds a lot better. I'll have to try and make it some time.