Friday, January 22, 2010

Social Networking

I know, I know. Another lost week for blogging. I don't know what in hell is going on but I haven't had a moment to breathe since the clock struck midnight on 2010. Not sure I'm going to enjoy this new decade if things keep up like this. Nor even survive it.

Only have time for a quick, pointless story.

Today at work I see one of our female bigwigs walking down the hallway towards me. When I say 'bigwig' I mean a woman who makes us a lot of money. Traditionally we are very friendly and get along well.

This woman possesses a type A plus personality with a D minus level of common sense. We all know the type; shrewd business women who's scatterbrained in every other aspect of existence. Big on ideas with little knowledge on how those ideas will wreak havoc on everyone else trying to implement them. She's a stream of consciousness and rapid fire talker who I find highly entertaining.

Anyway, she's heading my way, says hello, and I notice her hair is different. I say - simply in passing - 'I like your haircut.' Now, I'm not sure if 'haircut' is the proper term to use on a woman but, frankly, I could give a shit.

She says 'Oh...yeah....thanks' in a 'whatever' tone of voice, shoots me a look of disgust and scurries on her way. Well, what the fuck?

Since I'm friendly with the girl that works for her, I pass along the story and she says 'You know, I noticed something different but wasn't sure if she had just brushed it differently or it was actually cut'.

Therefore, I suspect several things have happened in that brief exchange.

1: She doesn't like the haircut and didn't believe my compliment.

2: She was preoccupied with some other crazy thought rattling around in her head that's chock full of crazy.

3: She actually didn't get a haircut and figured 'I don't have time to explain it to this idiot' and just said thanks as a way to get past the entire stupid exchange. This then proves - once again - that I should just keep my mouth shut.

4: I actually disgust her.

I find option 4 to be ludicrous and highly improbable. I'm lovely and charming even if I do leave a vapor trail of burrito tinged farts all over the office. Ok, that's not true. I'm nowhere close to being charming.

Still, how can anyone not like me?

Therefore, out of pure self denial, I've limited it to option 1, 2, or 3. Since it's hard to believe she's preoccupied with any thought, let's just cut it down to options 1 or 3.

My bet is option number one.

Which makes her more astute than I ever gave her credit for. I didn't actually like the haircut and was just being polite.

See where being polite gets you? Nowhere, that's where.

Enjoy the weekend. Will try to get back on track next week.

Today's distraction: It's the Trilogy Meter. Self explanatory, although I think the second Indiana Jones should be lower.

3 comments:

thepowerof10 said...

"shrewd business women who's scatterbrained in every other aspect of existence. Big on ideas with little knowledge on how those ideas will wreak havoc on everyone else trying to implement them."

There is a woman in my company EXACTLY like this. She has way too much power and makes life a living hell for most of us. Wish she was dead.

BeachBum said...

10, I'm betting there is a person like that in nearly every company in the world.

Rob said...

You know, I while I was watching AP fumble 47 times last night, and then Favre lose the game with that predictable int I couldn't wait to read your take on it. You do not disappoint, Beach!