Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Plethora of Thoughts

One of my favorite, random, nonsensical moments in a movie occurred in 'The Three Amigos' when the head of the bandits - El Guapo - asks his right hand man, 'Would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?' The dim witted right hand man answers 'yes, yes you have a plethora!'. 

This leads to El Guapo questioning if his right hand man (was his name Jeffe or something?) knows what 'plethora' means.  Jeffe admits he does not which sets El Guapo into a rage and leads to Jeffe offering 'I think perhaps you are angry at something else and taking it out on me'.  I need to watch that movie again.  It's been a long time. 

Here are a plethora of thoughts since last we chatted.

-  The weather pattern in Boston the last few years now looks like this:  Winter - sort of Spring in which it rains for three weeks straight, never gets above 50, reminds everyone of Seattle until suddenly - SUMMER.  Spring doesn't exist around here any longer. 

-  June is - by far - my favorite month of the year.  Beautiful weather, school lets out (which makes my life much easier), Father's Day, eldest's birthday, cookouts, fun and sun.  Need I say more?

-  My neighbor told me last year that if I ever wanted to trim back some branches from the trees on his land (but over hang my yard) that I could feel free.  Well, last Saturday I noticed neither car was in their driveway and I took full advantage.  Gone are several small (20 feet or shorter) trees and many branches that kept dropping shit in my yard. 

-  For the record, my least favorite tree is the Oak.  It drops acorns in the fall, looks ugly and sheds these annoying, stringy yellow things all over the place in the spring.  Really, there is no good time of the year for an Oak.  Other then February. 

-  Took the boys to see 'Thor' over the long weekend.  Much more enjoyable than I expected.  Some very funny moments and it was refreshing to see a superhero learn humility.  Why Natalie Portman was in it remains a mystery. 

-  The Foo Fighers have remained a source of great personal frustration for me in the past decade.  Their 'Color and the Shape' remains one of my favorite rock albums of all time, but they've rarely strayed outside the mainstream since then.  That they're still labeled an 'alternative' band seems more of a nod to Grohl's Nirvana origins than the music the Foo Fighters actually produce.  There are moments on all of their albums that hint at what could be.  Frankly - at this point in their careers - I had given up hope.  I'm wrong again.  'Wasting Light' is their hardest rocking release so far.  I even hear hints of 'Queens of the Stone Age' in here which may be Josh Homme's influence from 'Them Crooked Vultures'. 

Or maybe Grohl is just pissed off again.  He always seems to make his best music when he's in pain. 

-  I'm putting this up for vote.  Do I finish watching the rest of the DVRed 'Chicago Code' episodes now that the show has been canceled?  Have 3 or 4 left to get through, but not sure it's worth my time. 

-  I was just reminded that today is my 10 year anniversary with my current employer.  I was reminded when a big magazine showed up with gift options to choose from.  Here are my options (I'm eliminating the girly stuff like pots and pans and jewelry):

Megellan GPS System
Six inch LCD TV
14 MP digital camera
DeWalt 12 volt cordless drill (I'm shocked how much this appeals to me)
Maui Jim 'Stingray' Sunglasses (I wear nothing but Maui Jim's, btw)
Seiko Watch (don't wear a watch)
Poulan Pro leaf blower
26 inch Huffy Mountain Bike (nice, but it's a friggin' Huffy)
Sony Mini Hi Fi iPod System
HD Digital Camcorder
Haler Beer Cooler (like a mini fridge)
Bushnell telescope (boys would LOVE this)
Blu-Ray Player
Exercise Bike
Magellan Portable GPS
Air conditioner
Coffee Maker (really nice one, dual pot holders, espresso maker, etc)
More watches
Wine Cabinet
Golf clubs (don't golf)
Another beer fridge only for wine but I would totally use it for beer if I got it.

And finally, what could be the winner

Coby Touchscreen Tablet (comes with Android OS)

There's also a bread maker, but fuck that. 

-  I have a coworker who has an extremely annoying habit of acting like something is an emergency, IMing me with 'OMG, can I call you?', I reply with Sure and she takes forever to call.  I'm waiting right now.  IM when you're ready to talk and not a second before that, will ya?  And I promise this isn't even that important.  I have gifts to pick, dammit!!

-  It's looking like Miami is going to win the title with the three sell outs.  Well, two plus the one that was already there.  Like Cleveland hasn't been tortured enough. 

-  I should point out that Miami winning it all disproves once and for all the existence of any karma gods.  After LeBron leaving a team and city (his HOME city, no less) in ruins and that disgusting, over the top introduction karma would have broken one of their legs or humiliated them in some public, painful fashion.  Instead they'll be spraying champagne all over each other while Miami goes back to sunbathing and living the rich life.  Fuckers. 

-  Coworker finally called to tell me nothing of significance. 

-  Bruins are in the Stanley Cup finals which I enjoyed for the sole reason of winning a bet with my friend from Tampa.  She now needs to keep the Bruins logo attached to her email signature for the rest of the week.  Pity I didn't realize this would be a short week. 

-  Was downloading some tunes yesterday when my computer screen flashed, all the icons on the desktop disappeared and my downloading errored out.  I went into my music folder and EVERYTHING was gone.  Every single music file was wiped off the face of the earth.  I attempted a system restore, which returned the folders but not the music.  Fortunately I back things up and spent approximately 4 hours restoring everything.  What a joke.  Now I have to recreate my Playlists which only took me 5 days last time.  Fuck me!

Work is pulling me away again.  I really need to quit so I can write more, but then my house would be in foreclosure, my kids would be homeless and I wouldn't have internet access.  Defeats the purpose. 


Today's distraction:  Don't ever become Facebook friend's with Adam unless you have a good sense of humor about yourself. 

8 comments:

Clayton Bigsby said...

Definitely go with the tablet. I'm sure it has a GPS app.

BeachBum said...

Yeah, leaning heavily towards that if only to keep the boys entertained on a long car ride.

BeachBum said...

I just researched that Coby tablet and it's a hunk of shit. Not an official quote, but that was the general impression. Will have to consider other options.

Clayton Bigsby said...

HD Digital Camcorder. You have kids in sports. You can then bust out the videos when they're adults an embarrass them.

Rob said...

Do not watch Chicago Code. I had high hopes like you in the beginning, but the false/forced chemistry between Beale and the lead detective is painful and embarrassing to watch.

And, nice list of 10-year options. At my company, it's like crystal bowls and gold pens.

Jum said...

Agree with Bigsby, camcorder it up.

kos said...

Wasting Light is a fantastic album...White Limo is ridiculous!

BeachBum said...

YES, Kos! That's actually one of the songs that reminds me of Queens. Just fantastic.