Monday, November 28, 2011

Belated Wishes

It occured to me with alarm this morning that I never wished one of my favorite people a raucous 'Happy Birthday!'.

Then I realized there was no appropriate way for me to send her that message with Wifey on round the clock monitoring of all things electronic.  Enter the blogosphere.  What better way to wish DA a belated Happy Birthday then the one place designed specifically for her to waste time. 

Happy Birthday!!!  What are you, 35 now?  37?  I'm sure you still look fantastic however old you are. 

And while we're on the topic, here are some other belated wishes. 

For my old co-workers:  the ability to survive the changing tide.  Word from old friends is things are getting very ugly there. 

For my fantasy team:  A good doctor to get you back to 100% next season.  Since starting 3 - 0, I've lost Kenny Britt, Mike Vick, and now, devestatingly, Fred Jackson.  I'm heading towards 4 - 8 after this week.  What a disaster. 

For the Patriots:  That this new found defense isn't simply an illusion but the sign of great things to come.  I have my doubts considering Vince Young just threw for 400 yards against you. 

For the NBA:  The realization that you really shouldn't start your season until Christmas anyway.  Nobody pays attention until then regardless.  Cut your games down to 70, compress the playoffs (always loved the best of five first round) and be done before July 4th. 

For Kos:  Two albums to check out (although I'll bet you already have) - Machine Head's "Unto The Locusts" and Wolves in the Throne Room's "Celestial Lineage".  Not sure how you feel about Thursday, but their new one, "No Devolucion" is fantastic. 

For Bigs:  Another drunken, post coital blog entry from some pretty girl's apartment.  Still one of my favorites.  Oh, and a private office so he can avoid the fat, wheezy woman at work.  Least I could do since the first part was more for my benefit. 

For Jum:  Success at the new job and the chance to watch the JayHawks celebrate in March.  Right...from..your...desk.  Actually, that sounds fun.  The best view I had was the 'Occupy Boston' tent city and hoping for a police induced riot.  Alas. 

For Rob: Continued success at whatever it is you do for a living and that you son stays as addictively entertaining as he seems to be now. Whenever I need a laugh I go back and watch that video you posted. Cracks me up every time.


For C:  The ability to get back to Boston so we can booze it up properly.  Doesn't seem like a ton of travel with this new gig, so I should be around. 

For 10 (assuming he still reads here): That his new family is still healthy and happy.  Perhaps there is a new addition since last we spoke?

For the Red Sox:  The ability to make a fucking decision about anything. 

For Kevin Garnett:  A surprisingly short NBA season so you can make one last run on rested legs...wait a second...

For my new coworkers:  The revelation that, yes, I am like this all the time.  Suckers!

For my replacement at my old company (who I just heard looks like Jon Lovitz):  A sense of humor to protect you from the lunacy you just inherited. 

For the rest of you, just keep up the good work.  Or start doing good work if you've been slacking. 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you!

It did occur to me that I hadn't heard from you but I figured that might be the reason. And it was on thanksgiving this year (which sucks if I haven't mentioned it) so people do get distracted.

kos said...

I will check out the other 2 suggestions...Wolves in the Throne Room are pretty sweet. Mastodon has been dominating my ipod as of late though.

BeachBum said...

Well, I for one, think people should never get distracted from you (frankly, I'm not sure it's possible considering who you are and that you'd never allow it).

Hope you got a great gift!

Kos, you and me both. I listened to all of their stuff over the course of two days (including to and from work).

Rob said...

Thanks Beach.

c. said...

Best wish ever! You, me, Kitty O'Shea's and a bottle of Jameson. Glad to hear the new job is going well and if you get to Chicago before I get back to Boston, let me know. We'll move the bottle of Jameson to one of the 2,200 Irish bars in the Chi.

c. said...

Side note: Does wifey not read the blog or was that yet another of your finely crafted jokes?

BeachBum said...

Oh, Chicago! One of my favs. Didn't realize you lived there or I would have touched base with you during one of my many trips this past year.

To answer your other question, no wifey does not read here. Partly because I make fun of her a lot in this space and I wouldn't feel like I could write freely if I knew she was reading.

Now that I think of it, not many people who know me in the real world know I write this. DA may be the only one. Just the way I like it.

Anonymous said...

Me too!

Clayton Bigsby said...

I shall get loaded and blog soon. Sorry I have not been around these parts lately. A new job has me working odd hours at a computer so I don't spend much time online during my down time.