Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Lovin' Life

There are times when fuck ups are rewarded. 

Since January I've been toiling away for a company that did not have my best interests at heart.  As many of you know, this can take a serious toll on your mental well being.  I certainly had checked out and stopped caring as far back as March (I'm sure there is a ranting entry in my past that will get into the gory details and the exact date of when I mentally walked out on my last job). 

The logical step would be to start looking for a new job, but in a recession that isn't always a great option.  I had many interviews that went well, some that I knew I had no interest in after the first 10 minutes, and some I'm sure my wise ass personality leaked out and rubbed people the wrong way.  Happens all the time. 

I had a few offers, but it was lower pay for jobs I didn't feel great about.  There were two jobs I really wanted, but they fell through for whatever reason (I still don't know why since they never returned my calls or emails.  Bastards!).

Then I made a mistake. 

I found out today talking to my new boss that he was going to create my position an 'entry level' slot, but saw my resume and decided having someone with more experience would be a much better idea.  Thus he called me in, I met him and my coworker, hit it off and the rest is history. 

The thing is I didn't even notice the phrase 'Entry Level' in the job posting.  I saw the requirements, the location and thought 'Hey, that looks good'.  Whoops!

Best screw up I ever made.  So far (and granted, it's only day three), this has been the best job I've had.  I've already learned more in three days here than I have all last year.  The guys are funny, laid back and just told me that their 'Team Cohesion' exercises involve strip clubs, cabs, and hung over team meetings the next day. 

Yeah, I'm gonna fit right in here.  Wait until I introduce Beer O'Clock to this crew. 

Try to post more often, but I'm already balls to the wall here and the future looks more intense.  Carry on! 

1 comment:

Rob said...

Congratulations Beach. I've been waiting to hear how it's going. I really could not be happier for you.