Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Fraud

Some election day thoughts for your consideration.

-  I came home from work two days ago to find my seven year old and his neighborhood friend sitting on their bikes in my driveway.  Both are excited to see me pull in. 

'Dad, I'm voting for Mitt Romney!'

'Really,' I ask, 'why is that?'

'I just like him more than Obama.  Obama has spent way too much money on wars and stuff'

'Well, that's a good point'

His friend pipes in: 'And we want Scott Brown to win'

'Uh huh'

'Yeah,' my son continues, 'Elizabeth Warren lied to people.'

'Where did you hear that?'

'It was on the radio'

'Listen, one harsh lesson you both need to learn: All politicians lie.  It's how they think they can get elected.'

They both stare at me.  I turn to go into the house.

'But, Dad!!!  Are you going to vote for Romney?'

'No, I'm not'

'Why?'

'Because I don't like either of our choices and politicians in general are making me angry.'

'But....'

'You know what,' I interrupt, 'neither one of you can vote and I'm done having a political debate with two seven year olds.' And, with what little dignity I had left, I turned and walked away.

- That little conversation made me realize that political ads are geared towards people as impressionable and gullible as a seven year old.  Just remember that when our nation's leader is declared later tonight. 

-  I did vote today, but I couldn't vote for either Romney or Obama.  I almost voted for Romney, but that name just to the right (Ryan) scared me away.  Instead I wrote in Spongebob Squarepants.  Don't judge me.

Btw, I'm not joking. 

-  I did vote for Scott Brown, however, for the sole reason that he's got two hot daughters.

Well, that and he's one of the few Republicans standing up to the lunatic fringe and telling them that he's voting OLD SCHOOL Republican and not this new fundamentalist, christian conservative, Republican that is taking over the country. 

-  Do you think there's a part of Obama that doesn't want to win this election?  He's aged in dog years over the past 4 years.  He can't possibly be looking forward to another term.

-  Massachusetts has an assisted suicide question on the ballot this year.  'Do you support the right for a terminally ill patient to receive a prescription from a doctor so they can commit suicide in their own homes?'  I answered Yes to that and my wife is beside herself.  She voted No.  My response: 'Why do you care either way if someone wants to kill themselves?  You'd rather them die a prolonged and horrible death from cancer or ALS?'

Her response: 'I just don't agree with it'

Well then. 

-  Unsurprisingly, I voted to legalize marijuana.  Not just for medicinal use, either.  There was a non binding question to prompt our Senators to legalize and tax weed like we do alcohol.  Hell yeah.  Let's do it!!!  Our local drug dealer will be a small business owner over night!  I want this to happen just to witness him mulling over the tax forms.

-  If you didn't notice by the theme of this entry, I'm severely disillusioned by our candidates, our process, all of the debates that were staged in fantasy land since anyone could say whatever they wanted and not be called out on it, and the media for not providing any sort of insight into the candidates. 

To their credit, our Fox News station here in Boston attempted to have every candidate on during election coverage to give their views, but they always degenerated into a shouting match.

It didn't help that political ads have been bombarding our airwaves for the past three months in a non stop campaign to eliminate honesty and any resemblance of centrist logical thinking from the race.  Both Obama and Romney are trying to convince us that if we elect the other one America is going right into the toilet. 

I'm done.  Done with them all.  They can all go rot at the bottom of the Potomac when this election is over.  I'm glad today is election day for two reasons:

1:  No more fucking ads on television

2:  No more fucking ads on television making shit up

Wait....that was redundant since every ad makes shit up.  My apologies. 

What's sad is there are very few (I've seen exactly two) that have told us anything positive about the candidate running the ad.  The plan seems to be to get people to NOT vote for the other person instead of just running on ideas and platforms.  'Don't vote for him, he's CRAAAZZZZY.  Vote for me instead even though I have given you no clear definition about what I actually believe'.

Guess what?  Neither one of you are getting my vote.  Go screw.

I do realize this sounds cynical and bitter, but don't care.  Every inkling of hope that one candidate (just ONE) would rise above the bullshit and come out as honestly and straightforward as they can were dashed yet again. 

One final thought:  The big, untold secret of this Presidential race is that there is nearly no difference between Mitt Romney and Barack Obama.  Other than their running mates, they agree on nearly every policy.  Want to know how I know this?  Because we had four years of Mitt as our Governor here in Massachusetts and a lot of what he's done (health care, taxes) is what Obama has done or has tried to do. 

Stepping off my bitter soapbox.  Go rock the vote. 

Or don't.  Won't matter either way. 

No comments: