Wednesday, December 26, 2012

2012 Review - Music

Is it just me or does every election year coincide with a kick ass year in music?  Probably just me.

Anyway, I usually look to my iPod for my list of year end favorites and was shocked at what album wound up on my most listened to list.  As always, I'm no music expert, just someone who knows what I like. 

Off we go.  Be warned, there was a lot of great music out this year.  Might be a lengthy list.  Settle in and prepare to spend some time listening to a few samples. 

MUST HAVES

The Black Keys - El Camino:  This was my most listened to album of the year according to my sentient, music clogged, iPod.  What's surprising is I got this last December.  That it's still in constant rotation could - quite possibly - mean that this is one of the best releases of the past decade.  Several of these songs have already embedded themselves in my brain forever.

For your consideration:  'Lonely Boy' (which has one of the best opening riffs ever and is quickly becoming a pop culture staple), or 'Gold On The Ceiling' or 'Little Black Submarine'.  Or just go pick this up.  You won't find a bad song. 


Baroness - Yellow & Green:  To give you an idea how far this group has expanded their sound, remember that they still 'technically' fall under the hard rock category.  Now listen to this song.  Yes, it could be their shortened twist on 'Stairway to Heaven', but check out the songs below and tell me they not only are trying to reinvent themselves, but also dragging rock into a new, diverse age of enlightenment.  Keep it up, fellas!

For your consideration: 'March to the Sea' and a live version of 'Take My Bones Away'


Divine Fits - A Thing Called Divine Fits:  The lead singers of a band I love (Spoon) and a band I like (Wolf Parade) join forces to create a quirky, funky, additictively strange album.  The songs can initially sound like out takes of their original groups, but repeated listenings prove that cross collaboration can bring out the best in everyone involved. 

For your consideration: One of my favorites, 'Flaggin' A Ride'.  As a bonus here is 'Baby Get Worse' live from Letterman.


The Word Alive - Life Cycles:  Every now and then a band decides to take two different types of music and mash them together.  No, it doesn't always work, but when it does - as it does here - the results can be exhilarating.  Cramming dance, metal, screamcore, pop and punk together is one thing, but making it seem effortlessly organic is remarkable. 

For your consideration:  Don't be scared away by the initial metal underpinnings of their songs.  Instead focus on the other elements and the remarkable beauty incorporated into them.  I do realize this isn't for anyone, but give it a chance.  I'll start you off slowly with 'Astral Plane'

Ready for more?  Here is 'Hidden Lakes' which could be the most danceable metal song ever recorded.

One more.  Here is the title track, 'Life Cycles' which starts off with the angry screaming and machine gun drum staple of most metal bands only to morph (2:44 mark or so) into a beautiful reflection on what it means to grow up.  And then it gets angry again. 


Torche - Harmonicraft: Finely crafted hard rock, with crunching bass and stellar guitars.  Think of this as a more melodic version of Tool. 

For your consideration:  'Roaming' and a live version of 'Kicking'.  I'll let these speak for themselves.


Menomena - Moms:  A shockingly honest album with hatred, embarrassment, and hope for both themselves and everyone that had a hand in creating them along the way.  Lyrics like 'Heavy are the branches hanging from my fucked up family tree' or 'You brought me into this shit show without a penny or a plan' pretty much sum it up.  The music - varied and wonderful - is what brings you back.

For your consideration: 'Plumage' and - one of my favorites of the year - 'Pique', which I may or may not have listened to five times in a row when I first heard it.  I can neither confirm nor deny such things. 


Future of the Left - The Plot Against Common Sense:  Raw, strange, hilarious, and completely in a class by themselves.  I'll just give you the songs and you can make up your own minds.  My mind was made up when I realized I had listened to nothing but this album for an entire week during my commute back and forth to work.  Nothing says endorsement like obsession.

For your consideration:  'Beneath The Waves An Ocean' and the video for 'Sheena Is a T-Shirt Salesman' 'She paid for our equipment with her tits'.



Bob Mould - Silver Age:  The veteran from Husker Du and Sugar cops an attitude and decides to show all these young punks how it's really done.  Between this new material and touring for his old 'Copper Blue' album, 2012 should be known as the year of Mould. 

For your consideration:  Here is Mould and his band performing 'The Descent' on Letterman.  Would you have thought someone that looks like a high school science teacher could rock like this?  Enjoy some 'Star Machine' as well.  It's on me. 



HONORABLE MENTIONS

Accelerators - Fuel for the Fire:  Fast, fun, Ramones-like punk pop. 

For your consideration: A live version of 'Statues'


Hot Water Music - Exister:  The Florida band hones and neatens up their sound without losing any of the rock and roll raggedness that makes them ferocious. 

For your consideration:  An acoustic, live version of 'State of Grace'


Anathema - Weather Systems:  An alluring album length ode to lost relationships and regret that I still go back and listen to on a regular basis.  Not sure how long these guys and girls have been around, but they're on my radar.

For your consideration:  Live version of 'Lightning Song'.  Sound isn't great, but you get the idea.


Blood Red Shoes - In Time To Voices:  My one and always Crush of the Month makes this list not due to beauty, but talent.  Amazing what one guitar and a set of drums can accomplish. 

For your consideration:  The video for 'Cold'.  The anger within the song makes me wonder if these two are at each other's throats all the time.  Fine line between love and hate.  She is so sexy, though, it may be worth it to take her abuse. 


Django Django - Django Django:  Easily one of the best debuts of the year.  Weird, Beach Boy inspired pop that runs off into strange, instrumental directions at times.  Would love to see these guys live as they're probably a blast. 

For your consideration:  The video for 'Hail Bop' that's just as strange as I would have expected. Can't wait to see where they go from here.  And that could be anywhere.


Fang Island - Major:  Not as free wheeling and fun as their debut, but they expand their sound just enough to call it growth while retaining their hard rock, guitar based backbone that reminds me of Lindsey Buckingham at his most enjoyable.  I get the feeling we're on the verge of something great with these guys.  Their next may knock our collective socks off.  Which is good since I just got new socks, so I'm stocked for a while. 

For your consideration: 'Sisterly' which begs the question of how someone fires their sister. 


The Fixx - Beautiful Friction:  No shit, these guys are still around and pumping out good music.  I always thought they were under rated back in the 80s (listen to 'One Things Leads To Another' again...it still holds up).  Here they prove relevance has nothing to do with age. 

For your consideration:  Live versions of 'Follow That Cab' (from this album) and 'Secret Separation'.


The Menzingers - On The Impossible Past: The Philly band rocks it out with Springsteen type lyrics that vividly flesh out lives of dysfunction, partying and anger.

For your consideration: The excellent 'Gates'.


WTF SECTION

LostProphets - The Betrayed:  One of my favorite bands puts out what seems like rejects from every other album in their catalogue.  The title might as well refer to every fan that paid for this.  Are they fulfilling a contractual obligation with this? 


Fun. - Some Nights:  Don't get me wrong, some of these songs are enjoyable and I like that they attempt to capture the epic sound of vintage Queen at times, but why they thought Autotune was needed on some of these songs is beyond me.  The lead singer can belt them out with the best.  Plus some of these songs just don't work.  For every song I enjoyed there was a jaw clenching 'WHY?!' thrown in for no reason I will ever figure out. 

Think that's it for this year.  I'm probably missing some like I always do.  I'll add any urgent ones to the comment section if I think of anything.  Carry on, good folks. 

7 comments:

kos said...

The Bob Mould record is the shit! Baroness is pretty solid too.

Anonymous said...

I think this is one of the most important information for
me. And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things,
The site style is great, the articles is really nice :
D. Good job, cheers
My website ; click the up coming web page

Anonymous said...

@Craig -- I'm endeavoring to send an e-mail on the other hand can’t think it is on your web site. Do you please contact me?
My webpage: How To Treat Genital Warts

Anonymous said...

May We find out you may be out of Qld? You will be understood as
a strong Australian :0)
Here is my blog : Instant Vehicle Insurance

Anonymous said...

Ahaa, its nice discussion concerning this paragraph at
this place at this blog, I have read all that, so now me also commenting here.


Also visit my homepage; rowling
Also see my website > check ups

Anonymous said...

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is needed to get set up? I'm assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
I'm not very internet savvy so I'm not 100% sure. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Also visit my site; Email Console

c. said...

You know, we all go through a time when blogging doesn't seem like a good idea, your life gets super busy, you feel like you don't have anything interesting to say etc. etc. I get that. But now it's the end of May. I need to know what's happening in Boston (outside of the obvious, that was horrible.)